Monday 5 January 2009

New year birding

Hey everyone,  Chris W reporting from the US of A. 

I ended 2008 with 461 species for the year and 526 species on my life list.  

This year, I started out the new year with some aggressive tactics.  

On Jan 1, I drove two hours up to Buena Vista Grasslands to find this Snowy Owl: 



On Jan 2nd, I drove around, adding a bunch of easy year birds. 

On the 3rd, I ran down to a cemetery in Madison where a flock of White-winged Crossbills had been reported.  It took about 15 mins to find them after I added a further 3 year birds before finding this male Crossbill: 


There were about 10-15 birds total.  This was a very welcome find as it was a new life bird for me!

A total of 11 new year birds on the 3rd brought me up to my current total of 38 species for the year.    As soon as the ice melts, that total should go up a bit more. 

As always, check my blog for regular updates: 


Happy Birding and Happy New Year! --Chris

No comments: